Picture Source: http://www.65plushearthealth.com/images/page-photos/heart-health2.png
Is your mom at risk for heart disease?
- Worldwide, 8.6 million women die from heart disease each year, accounting for a third of all deaths in women. Three million women die from stroke each year. Stroke accounts for more deaths among women than men (11% vs 8.4%) with additional risk for CHD unique to women related to oral contraceptive use in combination with smoking.
- 8 million women in the US are currently living with heart disease; 35,000 are under age of 65. Four million suffer from angina.
- 435,000 American women have heart attacks annually; 83,000 are under age 65; 35,000 are under 55. The average: 70.4.
- 42% of women who have heart attacks die within 1 year, compared to 24% of men.
- Under age 50, women’s heart attacks are twice as likely as men’s to be fatal.
- 267,000 women die each year from heart attacks, which kill six times as many women as breast cancer. Another 31, 837 women die each year of congestive heart failure, representing 62.6% of all heart failure deaths.
On this Mother's Day, show your mom how much you care by choosing to protect her heart!
Heart-Friendly Gift Ideas for Mom:
- Something to calm her: massage, facial, or pedi/mani
- Something to encourage movement: pilates or yoga classes
- The gift that keeps giving--a compost, working in a garden is healing
- Feed her feather friends--a hummingbird feeder or bird seed
- Spinach & Feta Frittata or Blueberry Pancakes
- Fresh Fruit Salad sprinkled with flaxseed and honey (Strawberries, Blackberries, & Raspberries + 1tsp flax & honey)
- Carrot/Ginger/Orange Mimosas (juice carrots, ginger, and an orange then serve w/ a splash of Champagne)
Picture Source: http://dbm.thewebconsole.com/S3DB402/images/Berries.jpg
Enjoy and celebrate the health of your mother's heart for the years to come!
Happy Mother's Day to my mom, mother-n-law, grandmothers, & sisters--I love you all and wish for a heart-friendly day for you!