Friday, May 7, 2010

Quick Additions to the Garden & Taco Salad

Whoops, I almost forgot zucchini & cucumber to my list!  And, I also picked up a pot of chives and marigolds, because they tend to ward off bugs for their neighbors. Now, I will be checking daily for signs of life!

We put in drip irrigation straight from our hose spout.  I have 12 sprayers and 3 areas with soakers.  This was the first time I saw soaker attachments to the drip lines. I am wishing I would have marked my seed lines, but oh well!  They'll come!  Once they do I think I'll plant more lettuce.  We have been going through it rapidly.  If it is a shady spot lettuce can last awhile in San Diego summers, but is best in fall and early spring.

On our dinner plate tonight...Venison Taco Salad & Margaritas!
Taco Salad
1 lb ground venison, browned
1 chipotle, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 can pinto beans, drained (we like the Ranch-style)
  • Brown above ingredients together in a skillet, drain off excess fat
Salad
4 cups lettuce, torn
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro (I love it, but you can change this to suit your tastes)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Mix together. 
Vinaigrette 
1/2 lime, juiced
  • Yes, that's it!  Squeeze lime over salad and season with salt.  Make a well in the center and add in meat mixture.  
I opted away from chips (mainly because a bag will just go bad here and I have tortillas on hand from San Antonio, so I just whipped up quesadillas to serve on the side).

Enjoy!

No comments: