Monday, May 24, 2010

It's Blackberry Season!

Why is it we call them "black" berries when they stain everything purple?  I am guessing it has something to do with PurpleBerry not sounding as sweet?!?  Thoughts?

Blackberries are actually native to the US, and feed not only humans but many animals, too.  Similar to other berries they are packed with antioxidants, to include anthocyanin and quercitin.  They are loaded with fiber, 8 grams per 1 cup!  That's better (and more satisfying) than any bar or cereal.  If you combine 1 cup of Kashi's Go Lean and 1 cup of berries you will get 18 grams of fiber--that is more than 1/2 of my daily fiber needs.  Nice start to the day!

What is your favorite blackberry dish?  Blackberry cobbler, blackberry pie, or just plain blackberries? I love them all!  If they are sweet I can just sit and eat them.  I actually found myself in a painful predicament one time after eating far too many.  They were growing wild on a hiking path we were on and I just kept nibbling away...all day...painful morning followed! ;o)

This morning I found a delicious way to enjoy this berry:
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp simply fruit orange marmalade
1 cup blackberries
Taste buds soared with delight!

Tonight, I am preparing Alton Brown's Blackberry Cobbler recipe! I can smell it already!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

My kids love blackberries and have been eating them all week! They just eat them plain with strawberries. I was wondering why they are called "black" also. I gave you a versatile blogger award on my crafty blog. :) Happy weekend!

Brain Vitamins said...

I personally think "purpleberry" sounds better hah! Raspberries are my favorite, but black berries are a close second, and this is the perfect season for them.