The kit includes:
o One Cuisinart hand blender (valued at $55.00)
o Dairy Makes Sense recipe cards with new tasty recipes to try out with your family
o Dairy Makes Sense apron
o Hot pad
o Cheese knife
o Grocery pad
o Refrigerator magnet
First, let's talk dairy. I have long been known as a heavy consumer of milk. My friends' parents used to jest that they needed to buy an entire cow if I was going to spend the night. No kidding! Yes, I have a love affair with milk.
As a dietitian I am a huge advocate of incorporating dairy into the diet (of course, if you like it, are not a vegan vegetarian nor allergic to it). Studies support the concept of a 4 to 1 ratio (4:1) of carbohydrates to protein for muscle recovery; thus, I often recommend a glass of chocolate milk or yogurt with cereal to my athletes as a post-workout meal.
Additionally, milk is an excellent source of Calcium, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12. Calcium has been on the radar for well over a decade due to the high risk of osteoporosis, but recently Vitamin D has taken the main stage. I have been paying close attention to the research coming out on Vitamin D and athletes. Milk is one of the very few food sources of Vitamin D, and current research is leaning in the direction that athletes may need more. Again, it's preliminary, so I am just paying attention to the recommendations.
My 5 favorite dairy products are:
- 1% low-fat milk (used in my daily latte)
- yogurt (all kinds, but especially the Greek non-fat variety)
- Butter (yes, I said it--I like butter and I use it to impart flavor as I finish sauces)
- More cheese, please (I love all varieties of cheese!)
- buttermilk (now, unlike my great grandma, Mammy, who drank it I prefer it in my baked goods)
So, to win the giveaway here is what you need to do:
- In the comments section of this post, write your favorite dairy recipe (including recipe & story behind it)
- My readers enjoy quick & easy foods that are feasible to make, so if your recipe fits the bill you may be selected to win!
- If you have a picture to share, please send it to WJPetersonRD@aol.com and I may post your recipe--winner or not!
- I'll pick one winner on Friday, May 14th--so stay tuned!
- The winner will need to provide me with his or her address to receive the giveaway from the Midwest Dairy Council, and I'd love a personal picture to post with your recipe, too! (If available)
So, what's my dairy recipe for the day:
I am going to try the Panna Cotta recipe from David Lebovitz's website!!
It's one of my favorite desserts that I get when eating out. Right now I have blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries coming out of my ears, so these will be make a fabulous pairing with the Panna Cotta! I'll let you know how it turns out!