Monday, November 30, 2009

Traditional Leftovers--Turkey Vegetable Soup

It all begins with the turkey.  What are leftovers from Thanksgiving about if they do not have turkey in them? You remove the meat from the carcass, and then the carcass gets immersed in water.  So begins the makings of Mammy's Turkey Vegetable Soup.

My great-grandmother Mammy (Estella Trowbridge) was known amongst family for her holiday soup.  Every holiday my mom would begin to prepare the soup and always reference that we were going to have Mammy's soup.  There are numerous times throughout the year when I think of Mammy and my grandma, whom have passed on, and Thanksgiving is definitely one of them.  I actually think of many of my family members during this time of year because of the food traditions that have been imparted and passed along to me. So, today I share with you my Mammy's Turkey Vegetable Soup.  Not only is this delicious, but it also gets a check mark for health!

Mammy's Turkey Vegetable Soup
Servings--A giant Crock Pot
Ingredients:
1 turkey carcass
Water
3 carrots, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
3 celery stalks, sliced
Turkey meat, just put in how much you'd like (about 3 cups)
1 frozen bag each: corn, lima beans, & green beans
1/2 green cabbage, thinly sliced


Directions:
Clean your carcass of meat and skin.  Place carcass in a Crock Pot, cover with water and cook over night or for 2-4 hours on high (6+ hours on low). If you are using a soup pot, bring the pot to a boil and allow to simmer for 2 hours. Add carrots, onions, celery, and turkey meat and cook for 2 hours.  For the last hour of cooking add in corn, lima beans, green beans, and cabbage.  Season with salt and serve.  Possible additions: fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, cubed potatoes, or fresh lemon zest.

This soup is hearty and filling, and better the second day! In addition, you can freeze or can this soup! If you choose to add in potatoes or sweet potatoes you cannot freeze or can.  I hope you get that warm and fuzzy feeling that I get when I eat this soup!  Happy Leftovers to Y'all!

2 comments:

Nicole, RD said...

I wish we had leftovers! T-day was at my parent's in Chicago, so I passed this along to them to enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Hi,

I really liked your site and I am interested in building a relationship with your site. I found your site interesting and very resourceful, too.

You can contact me back at Annina.caruso@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Annina