Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Zucchini Bread--One of my classics!


If you were to ask my former students they would all remember me for a certain recipe. The first day of every semester I would demonstrate cooking with my favorite recipe: Zucchini Bread! Majority of the students would have perceptions that zucchini is a vegetable and not meant to be in a sweet bread, some would abhor the taste of zucchini, and others were open minded to try anything as long as they could eat. My rules:

1. No talking or making disgusted faces--this influences others' responses
2. Must try everything--even if just a bite
3. Rate the food you try
I do not have a memory of any one student disliking this recipe, and often I would receive calls from parents asking how I got their child to eat a vegetable. Still to this day I receive emails from my former students asking for this recipe, and today was no different so I thought I'd share with my readers my favorite Zucchini Bread recipe. I have adapted the recipe from Williams Sonoma Muffins Cookbook recipe.
Wendy’s Summer Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:
1 ½ cp Flour, All Purpose
¾ cp Sugar
2 ts. Baking Powder
¼ ts. Baking Soda
½ ts. Cinnamon
¼ ts. Salt
2 eggs
1/3 cp Olive Oil or Canola Oil
1/3 cp Orange Marmalade
2 sm. zucchinis, grated and strained (Squish in a paper towel to get rid of liquid)
½ cp dried cherries, or orange cranberries (I like a mix of ranier and bing)
½ cp walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven. To 375*F. Grease a bread pan.
Stir together flour through salt. In another bowl, mix liquids (eggs through zucchini). Add liquids to dry ingredients, do not over mix. Fold in nuts and cherries. Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Recipe can be doubled.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

tam said...

Oh golly gosh that looks delish! Do you think it work with gluten free flour? x

chow and chatter said...

this looks awesome love this bread

Edible Nutrition said...

I don't see why not! Here is another great link where Freeda made zucchini bread without gluten, as well. http://www.glutenfreeda.com/recipe-view.asp?id=714