Sunday, October 25, 2009

Brussels Sprouts are Back

I grew up with such a strong sense of disgust for this vegetable it is amazing that I have such an affinity for it now. The trick for me was learning how to prepare it--without mutilating it! I am also amazed that the Brussels Sprout is making a come back. Just this past week during my travels to Denver I ate at Rioja Restaurant--a shi shi tapas restaurant and they had an appetizer dish just like the one I prepared today. Although, I opted for ham over pancetta--so it really doesn't sound that fancy. This week at Trader Joe's I purchased a bag of Brussels Sprouts, rosemary ham, onions, and baby mushrooms--all an inspiration to my quick lunch today. I hope you give this dish a try, too! It can be served as a side, a main dish, or as an appetizer served with crispy bread. Don't pass up the Brussels Sprouts next time!
Brussels and Back in 10 minutes
Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1/8 onion, sliced thin
6 baby mushrooms, sliced or quartered
8 Brussels sprouts, remove base (stem) and thinly slice like cabbage
2 oz rosemary ham
black pepper, to taste
Directions:
In a skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions and mushrooms and cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and ham, sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Top with cracked black pepper and serve. Truly that simple!

No comments: