Monday, April 12, 2010

Venison Ragu

After a long weekend away it felt wonderful to come home and cook!  Perhaps I am strange, but I really do prefer a home cooked meal over eating out.  Granted, there are times when I am not in the mood and crave the simplicity of having someone else prepare me a meal--like a sushi chef!

My cupboards are pretty bare, but I do have some great stand-bys: pasta & pasta sauce!  I opted for venison ragu over fettuccine.  Why venison?  Because I have ample in my freezer from my fabulous nephews.  Venison is much leaner than beef and a great source of protein.  For 3oz of ground venison it is only ~160 Calories.  For more nutrition information check out this link:  http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4813/2

Venison Ragu
Ingredients
1 lb ground venison
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes (I like a kick!)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 jar pasta sauce (your choice, but I love Newman's Own Sockarooni)
8 oz mushrooms, quartered
1 lb pasta
Directions

  1. In a heavy skillet brown venison.  
  2. Add in seasonings: garlic powder, chili pepper flakes, oregano, and bay leaves
  3. Add mushrooms and stir
  4. Pour in sauce and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes
  5. Meanwhile, bring a stock pot full of water up to a boil and add in 1 tsp of salt
  6. Cook pasta according to package directions
  7. Drain pasta and immediately toss in with ragu sauce
  8. Serve with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!


No comments: