Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Still Raining...Stir Fry Time!


Some of you may not believe this, but there are actually days where I don't want to cook. But probably less of a surprise to you the feelings of not cooking don't take me to the nearest drive-thru for a burger.  After teaching culinary arts to students who worked at fast food restaurant permanently curbed my appetite for fast food dining. :) What I do instead is start pulling things out of my vegetable drawer and pile them up for a quick stir fry.
Does a stir fry have to be "Asian" inspired? No. Stir-fry is a quick way of "frying" with little oil at a very high heat. A wok pan is ideal for this technique.  Read more about woks here.  Woks are also very easy to clean--another plus when you are not in the mood to cook.
Tonight, my mixture was this:

Rainy Day Stir Fry
Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup broccoli, bite sized florets
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1/4 cup venison summer sausage (don't cringe or laugh--it's what I have in my fridge!)
1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
2 Tbsp goat cheese
Directions:
Heat up the oil in a skillet or wok.  When you feel the hit coming off the oil add in your carrots, celery, and broccoli.  Stir.  Add in mushrooms & sausage and stir.  Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until desired tenderness. Add in the spinach, turn off heat, and cover with a lid.  The heat will wilt the spinach enough. Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve.

Basically the vegetable drawer, and thankfully my veggie drawer tastes fabulous! ;)  Happy eating!


PS--when the mood strikes you to order a pizza or head for the drive thru consider the endless options of what you can "throw" together. If it is too much then head out the door or order in.  I have done it, too!  No guilt, no shame--embrace your choice and try to choose healthy whenever you can. I hope I help you  on this journey.

No comments: