Monday, January 18, 2010

It's Raining Enchiladas

Okay, you got me. It's not, but it is definitely raining and my house has the flavors of enchiladas all throughout! It's a perfect food for a cold, wet day like today.  I am not going to complain about the rain, because we are in desperate need for a good drenching and my garden is begging for it. The 10 inches we are expecting may not be what I had in mind, but it is what it is.
Before the rain began I went out to my garden and harvested more tomatillos.  The little green tomato-like fruit makes me crave Mexican food. I haven't done a big trip to the grocery store lately, so I am merely creating what my pantry allows.  I hope you give it a try, and perhaps are inspired to let your pantry guide you, too.

Chicken Verde Enchiladas
Serves 2-4 people
Ingredients:
1 cup salsa
2 large chicken breasts
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1lb tomatillos, husked and chopped
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
Sea Salt, cumin, & pepper to taste
Lime (I used a 1/2 of a lime, but I like things tart--play with it!)
8 Corn Tortillas
1 cup 2% cheddar Cheese
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400*F. Place chicken in a baking pan and top with salsa. Bake chicken for 20 minutes or until done.
Meanwhile, in a saute pan add oil and onions. Saute onions on medium heat for 5 minutes and then add garlic for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatillos and cook on medium low for 10 minutes or until becomes sauce-like. Season with cumin, pepper, and salt. Add your lime juice and stir. Chop your chicken into small cubes. Next, set up your assembly area.
Stations: tortilla, chicken, cheese, pan.  In a baking pan, place 1/3 of your sauce on the bottom.  Because this makes a small quantity you don't need a big baking pan. Instead you could use two bread pans. Place chicken on tortilla, top with cheese, and roll up.  Place seam side down in pan.  Repeat.  Pour remaining sauce over the tops of the enchiladas.  Drop your oven temperature to 350*F and bake for 25 minutes. During the last 5 minutes sprinkle with cheddar cheese and continue baking until done.
Next, let's make the side dish--tossed salad.
Simple Tossed Salad
Ingredients:
Carrot, use a vegetable peeler to make long strands
2-4 cups lettuce (I prefer baby greens for their tenderness)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 Tbsp olive oil
Garlic powder, salt, & pepper to taste
Directions:
In a bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil and seasonings. Toss in your greens and carrots. Lightly toss and remove to plate.  Serve with chicken enchiladas and a dollop of guacamole (avocado, lime juice, and salt--pure and simple).  ENJOY!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The rain inspired me to make these tonight for my friends! They were devoured in a matter of seconds!

Yum! Always great recipes!

Edible Nutrition said...

Oh wonderful! Love that they enjoyed it! I am craving Mexican myself!