- Keep a bag of frozen scallops (I love Trader Joe's brand)
- Defrost under COLD RUNNING water (may take about 5 minutes), but please do NOT leave on the counter to defrost
- Pat dry, really dry (this is KEY)
- Get a pan hot over medium to medium-high heat
- Use a vegetable oil, not butter (yet), but don't put too much--just enough to coat the bottom of a pan
- Don't crowd the pan or the oil will drop too much in temperature
- Flip only once--be sure that the side is browned enough before you turn the scallop
- Don't overcook, they are like shrimp and only take about 3-5 minutes to cook (Fast Food, huh?)
- Remove the scallops once cooked and finish the pan off with a pat of butter to make the sauce glisten. Now you're ready!
Asian Inspired Scallop Salad
1/4 cup flour
Salt & Pepper
2-3 Tbsp oil
Cucumber, diced or sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- Prepare your salad plates and whisk your vinaigrette ingredients together.
- Follow above tips regarding scallop preparation. Pat dry and heat pan. Season flour with salt & pepper. Toss scallops lightly with flour. Add 1/2 of the scallops to the heated pan. Flip in 3 minutes or once a brown crust forms on the bottom. Once cooked, remove and place on paper towels and begin the next batch. When all are cooked, add in 1 tbsp of butter to pan. Scrape up brown bits and then add in 2-3 Tbsp of vinaigrette mixture. Return scallops to pan to toss in sauce. Serve with salad greens.
- Toss lettuce with remaining vinaigrette and serve!