Planning to grill tonight? Add grilled potatoes to your dinner menu. Or perhaps the spring storms are keeping you inside. Toss cut up potatoes into your oven for a great dinner addition. From russett to fingerling to yukon gold or new potatoes you have a variety of flavors and textures to work with. Russetts are the classics for baked potatoes, fingerlings are adorable and perfect to slice lengthwise and nibble on, and yukon golds are creamy enough on their own that you need very little butter to make these a mashed hit. Potatoes are so tremendously versatile and combine well with so many of my favorite herbs or spices. Here are some quick ideas to create a pair with your next menu:
1. Chop up rosemary and garlic and toss with your favorite roaster. Bake at 400*F for 20-30 minutes until crisp and golden
2. Par boil for 5 minutes and skewer. Baste with olive oil, garlic, and lemon zest. Throw on the grill and enjoy!
3. Roast with sage and bacon for a more decadent touch.
4. Thinly slice and make your on potato chips--bake at 450*F for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Season with malt vinegar and sea salt
5. Go Mexican! Toss grilled or roasted potatoes with cilantro, cumin, and olive oil.
Tonight, I made sauteéd cod with lemon sauce, blanched asparagus, and roasted potatoes that I finished with lemon zest and parsley. You can really cut back your use of salt when you pair citrus juice or zest with a dish--try it! Stop passing the potatoes by! They are high in Vitamin C and when you eat the peel you keep the fiber. Everything in moderation which makes fingerling and new potatoes a great addition to your next meal! There's the dinner bell!
Kayaking with Manatees
3 weeks ago