Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cantaloupe Ice Cream---ahhh, Summer!

The gifts of summer always make me smile. From fresh berries, ripe tomatoes, to the plethora of melons that mark the onset of summer! For me, summer was always about floating the river, skiing at the lake, having far too much fun life guarding at the pools, and eating anything my mom grew in her garden. I miss it! One of my all time seasonal favorites is Blue Bell's Cantaloupe Ice Cream! Ahhhh, so creamy and refreshing. Just this week my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box blessed me with three beautiful cantaloupes. I couldn't resist whipping up some ice cream to enjoy with my fresh berries! I hope you enjoy the sweet treat, too! Of course, mine is on the lighter side, but I will give you options on ways to make this dessert a little richer!
Cantaloupe Ice Cream
Ingredients:

1 ripe cantaloupe

1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs or 1/2 cup egg subsitute

3/4 cup sugar
1 cup reduced-fat milk
2 cups heavy cream or whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
Puree cantaloupe for 3 minutes in a food processor or blender. Add lemon juice and sugar and store in an airtight container for 1 hour.

Beat eggs until they are light and fluffy (1-2 min). Slowly add sugar to the eggs and beat for 1 more minute.
In a saucepan, heat milk until it just begins to boil.
Pour hot milk over beaten eggs, stirring to combine well.
Pour mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly (Do not let mixture boil).
Remove from heat when mixture thickens and begins to stick to your spoon.
Chill at least 2-3 hours.
Drain cantaloupe puree and add juice to milk mixture, setting cantaloupe puree aside.

Stir in cream and vanilla.
Pour into ice cream maker.
Mix about 20-25 minutes.
Drain cantaloupe puree again, discarding juice or saving for another use.
Add cantaloupe puree (not juice) to ice cream mixture.
Mix 5 more minutes in your ice cream maker.










2 comments:

CGS said...

That sounds yummy! I'll have to try it. Cooper and I made vanilla bean ice cream the other day in my machine (probably not too much on the light side) and we've been enjoying Mat's banana splits with it. =)

We joined a CSA too and have enjoyed our LOTS of greens. Can't wait to get some other veggies.

Anonymous said...

This sounds heavenly! Gorgeous presentation! Yum!First i am going to bought a Ice machine as i dnt have and after visiting many sites on net get a good site where i get a Ice machine means Ice Machine on a good Discount and after that i tried for ur receipe and it was reallyyyyyyyy very very yummyyyyyyyyy..............thnx for such a nice post