Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Step by Step to a Fabulous Frittata (Quick Dinner Alert!)

After another long day I came home and began my rummage through my fridge...hmmmm.....eggs, veggies, prosciutto, goat cheese, milk...ooo la la--time for a frittata! My first experience with a frittata was at my dear friend Kathie's home. I walk in and on the counter is a beautiful circle egg dish loaded with thinly sliced zucchini. It looked a little like an omelet, but it was at room temperature. It was fabulous! Kathie's family is from Italy, and her mother, Maria is a culinary goddess! That day we enjoyed zucchini frittata and apricots for lunch. The simple things in life! For me, I am forever thankful for my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) goodies which constantly add variety to my life! Frittatas-- a great way to curve your hunger in under 15 minutes!
Wendy's Wednesday Night Frittata
Serves 2 or 1 with leftovers
Ingredients:
1 small potato
2 Tb canola oil
2 broccoli crowns
2 oz prosciutto or ham
4 eggs
1/3 cp crumbled goat, feta, or favorite cheese

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350*F
Step 2: In a heavy skillet or cast iron pan heat oil over medium high heat. Add cubed potatoes and allow to brown on each side (about 10 minutes)
Step 3: While waiting for your potatoes to cook steam your broccoli in the microwave for 3 minutes with 1/2 cup water or in a pot. Drain and chop the florets.
Step 4: Cut up your prosciutto and add prosciutto and broccoli to potatoes
Step 5: Whisk eggs and pour over potato mixture
Step 6: Crumble cheese over top and bake for 5 minutes or until set.
Step 7: Allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve!

Serve with fresh fruit and a glass of milk! Well, I did and it was FABULOUS!!! Let me know if you decide to fix it! Be creative and avoid limiting yourself to only certain vegetables! Spinach, peppers, onions, garlic, or squashes all work! Add a splash of fresh herbs, too--darn, I wish I would have thought of that earlier! I was too hungry to think at the time. Enjoy!

No comments: