Friday, March 12, 2010

A Beet-iful Salad

Have you started to notice gorgeous red bulbs in your grocery store? When I was a child I had an allergic-type reaction to beets, but I have definitely outgrown that sensitivity!  When they are in season I am quick to get my fill.  The canned varieties are okay (at best), but the fresh, roasted variety are my favorite. To me they are almost artistic in nature with their bold color and tree-like rings. Be aware that beets can stain just about anything, so be sure to clean up any drips and wash your cutting tools immediately--oh, and wear an apron (from experience!)

Beets are also a good source of the following nutrients, making it a great pick for your next meal:

  • Potassium
  • Folate
  • Vitamin C
  • Iron
  • Manganese
  • Fiber
Roasted Beet Salad
Ingredients to serve 2:
2 beets, peeled and sliced
1 cup green beans, blanched and chilled
2 boiled eggs, chopped or sliced
4 cups salad greens
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400*F. On a shallow baking sheet toss beets with olive oil.  Bake beets for 20 minutes or until tender.  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar (basically you are deglazing the pan with the vinegar--this creates a hot dressing). On two plates arrange greens, beans, and eggs. Serve beets over top and drizzle with vinaigrette.  Season wtih S& P as needed. Please note that beets are naturally high in sodium so you really don't need much (if at all).


For me, this was a complete meal. This would be a great side dish with grilled chicken and quinoa.  I hope you think it is as "beet-iful"  as I do!  And please note, beets sometimes cause beet-uria (red urine) and other red things, so don't be alarmed if this happens to you. It's normal for some of us! ;o)

2 comments:

Anthony Sepe said...

Thanks for the great recipe; I love the title of your post! Keep up the good work.

All the best,
Anthony

Edible Nutrition said...

Ahh thanks, Anthony! They really are a pretty vegetable!