Friday, September 18, 2009

Trader Joe's Dinner for ONE--Boo Hoo!

As my journey through another deployment begins my creative brain begins to work on ideas...dinner ideas for one. There are a couple key areas I save money while my spouse is deployed:
  1. Water--just due to showers
  2. Gas--no more trips to work, and I bike more often than not
  3. FOOD--ahhh, eating for one

Okay, so I know many prefer to open a box, a can, or better yet skip both and go out to eat when they eat for one. Trust me, I understand the temptation. Unfortunately, eating out has major draw backs. Choosing a restaurant over eating at home can lead you down an expensive and unhealthy path. Your waistline and pocketbook will both thank you when you stay in tonight!

Trader Joe's was my inspiration tonight. I picked up a package of Chicken Cilantro Wontons and Persian Cucumbers. I smell an Asian-inspired dinner brewing! I quickly sliced the Persian cukes lengthwise and simply salted them and tossed a little sesame oil and rice wine vinegar over top. I noshed on these while preparing my Wonton Soup:

Ingredients:

4 cups chicken broth

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 red bell pepper, thinly sliced

2 green onions, thinly sliced

1/2 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced

1 tsp sesame oil

2 tsp soy sauce

1/2 bag Chicken Cilantro Wontons

2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional)

Directions:

In a soup pot (aka stock pot) place chicken broth, garlic, bell peppers, green onions, sesame oil, soy sauce, and jalapeños. Bring stock to a boil and add wontons in for 3-5 minutes or until floating on surface. Add cilantro if you wish. Serve! Yes, it is that simple! Enjoy!

Oh, and to treat myself well tonight I made a quick spritzer:

2 grapefruits juiced

1 cup Riesling wine

Mix and enjoy! Savor each breath! With or without your life partner you are blessed to be alive and healthy! Remember to make the most of each day. PS--this #10!

No comments: