Sunday, August 30, 2009

Add Some Zing to a Muffin Mix


There are definitely times where I opt for convenience, and a muffin mix can be something tasty to keep on hand for those times. I noted that Martha White is now making a "Whole Grain" muffin mix. Don't get too excited! They are not that "whole," but they do provide 1 gram of fiber per muffin whereas the old mix has none. I decided to give the apple cinnamon package a try, and I added my own pieces of flair to the mix to increase the fiber, protein, and flavor.
Morning Muffin Mix
Serves 6 muffins
Ingredients:
1 Martha White Apple Cinnamon Muffin package
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup milk
Topping:
3 Tbsp brown sugar or raw sugar
3 Tbsp oats
3 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425*F (400*F for convection). Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well. Add 1/2 cup milk and quickly mix, but do not overmix. Pour muffin mix into muffin cups--I use silicon muffin "pans" so I don't have to add cooking spray to keep them nonstick. Next, make the topping. Using a pastry blender, your fingers, or two knives you can cut the butter into the flour/sugar mixture. Top muffins with crumble and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.

No comments: