Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring is in the Air & in my Garden!

For the past two weeks I have been traveling, and haven't had a chance to sit down and post a blog. My apologies! But, after some requests I feel it's time to share some spring ideas to help your mouth ready for the succulent treats of spring!

Spring Salad--Inspired by a Cooking Light recipe in April 2009
Ingredients:
5 radishes, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
3 carrots, use a vegetable peel to make long slices
4 cups lettuce--your choice! Arugula & Mizuna worked fabulously in this recipe
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tb. mint, chopped*
2 Tb. parsley, chopped*
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 Tb. olive oil
1/2 ts. kosher or sea salt
5-6 grinds on a pepper mill
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled

Directions:
In a large bowl toss all vegetables together. Top with herbs, then lemon zest and juice, and finish with olive oil. Toss again. Sprinkle with S&P and crumble goat cheese over top. Serve!
*Note, any fresh herbs can work--this is just some of what I grow; thus, it's what I used! Cilantro, basil, thyme, or dill could all work in this!

Along side of this fabulous salad I served Grilled Chicken with Mango Salsa! YUM!
Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
3 limes, juiced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 ts. salt
3 Tb. olive oil
Directions:
Marinate chicken breasts in above mixture for at least 30 minutes, and no more than 4 hours. Grill on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes on each side. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165*F on a meat thermometer.

Mango Salsa
Ingredients:
1 mango, cut into small cubes
1/4 red onion, minced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 avocado, cubed
1/2 jalapeno (or more who like heat), minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
Salt to taste
Directions:
Mix & immediately serve over chicken breasts!

My whole meal was Spring Salad, Chicken breasts with Mango Salsa, Black Beans, & Brown Rice. The above serves 4 and took about an hour to pull together! Enjoy!
Oh, and my camera broke; thus, I will post pics when I can!

1 comment:

Diet Menu said...

Keep on sharing such blogs with us. I like your blog.