Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Skinny Café--Easy Way to Cut Calories & Keep the Taste!

Are you a coffee drinker? Every morning I wake up to the fresh smell of brewed coffee, winding its way to my bedroom. Ahhh...I love my coffee. Generally, I drink 2 cups each morning, and occasionally have an espresso in the afternoon. I used to drink my coffee with flavored creamer or half & half--such a treat. If you are trying to cut calories, one trick is to look at your habits. Any area where you can shave 25-100 calories "here and there" makes a huge difference on the scale. So, one area I often work with is coffee. How do you enjoy your coffee each morning? Here are some numbers for you to consider:
Coffee-Mate Creamers (flavored), 1 Tb 35 Calories
Half & Half, 1 Tb 17.5 Calories
Whole Milk, 1 Tb 9 Calories
Skim or Fat-Free Milk, 1 Tb 5 Calories
Sugar, 1 ts 15 Calories
Now, have you ever measured how much creamer you add to your coffee? It's surprising what an actual tablespoon looks like versus what you think it looks like. (smile) Oh, how we underestimate!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy coffee in the morning is to make a "latté." Here's how I cut back on my traditional 2-3 Tb Coffee-Mate Creamer morning "cup of Joe" (100 Calorie) habit:

Start with a mug, fat-free milk, and a frothing wand.












Heat 1/4 cup milk for 30 seconds in the microwave.

Add 1 ts. sugar, and froth with wand for 10-15 seconds or until frothy.







Add coffee and enjoy! Perhaps top it off with cinnamon or nutmeg!

When you heat the milk it reduces, leaving a thicker, creamier consistency. It's worth a shot and saves you 65 Calories!

No comments: